We all need to be loved. That is essential for life.
But sometimes it's not enough to know we are loved, but we must see and feel it. This is especially true for children. Children, particularly young children, cannot rationalize things like "Mommy is cooking dinner because she loves me and she cannot play right now. But that's okay because her cooking is a way she shows me love." While that may be true, a small child cannot logically come to that conclusion. What's a busy Mama (or Daddy) to do?
The short answer is to refill your child's love tank. Fill them up so they feel loved.
Each child is different and because of that his love language is going to be unique. Here a few ideas to show some love to your kiddos:
1. In a rush but need to cook? Cook together. Give your child age-appropriate tasks. You may be working together, but you'll be bonding too.
2. Cuddle on the couch.
3. Make time for real conversations. Ask your child open-ended questions, but don't rush him. Enjoy the details of the story- even if it takes 10 minutes to get to the point.
4. Play a good, old-fashioned board game.
5. Take a walk around the block.
6. Visit the zoo. Make up names and stories about the animals. Ask your child what each animal does at night after the zoo closes. Do they have secret lives?
7. Make a treasure hunt. Decorate a shoe box to look like a buried treasure chest. Put a few of your child's favorite treats inside.
8. Read together. Even your older child can benefit from this! Many families used to gather in the living room after dinner and a parent would real aloud from a book.
9. Learn your child's favorite sport and play it the yard together.
10. Learn something new together.
11. Remind your child what you like about him or her.
12. A simple kiss on the forehead.
13. Have a dance party and let your child be the DJ.
14. Make a craft together.
Everything on this list has one thing in common: spending time and being together with your child. When it comes down to it, that is the simple yet most important thing we can do to show our love. Time is our most valuable gift that we can give to another. To give time is to give love.